Mobile Developer (React Native)
Software | Remote - London office optional
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality, we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
We pride ourselves on product development. Our technology and its users are at the heart of everything we do, ranging from consumer applications that enable EV drivers to charge on our network; to an expansive ecommerce solution for our customers and our partners; back-office systems for managing our network; and a big data pipeline for the communications of our charge points. We’re leading the industry in how great software helps define the best EV charging experience.
We aim to build even more awesome things, so we’re looking for an innovative, passionate and enthusiastic mobile developer to join the software development team and help us develop and maintain our mobile application and meet our ambitious business objectives. You will be working closest to your fellow software engineers, QA, DevOps, technical project managers and the product team, but you’ll also be in regular collaboration with the wider product development department, including the data, hardware and Salesforce engineering teams.
In your role you’ll be writing, testing & releasing code to help our efforts towards our product development roadmap; understanding business requirements to help architect solutions to technical challenges; facilitating the teams agile software development via pair programming, peer code reviews, assisting QA with testing, and helping project managers and product owners with story writing & technical specifications; adhering to industry and company coding standards & practices; ensuring system & data security; and helping our transition from legacy monoliths to modern microservices.
The software team currently consists of three engineering squads covering our three product areas: network communications, B2B & B2C. You’ll be joining one of the squads, and a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork & collaboration where quality always comes first. We’ll be seeking your new ideas to help us evolve both in terms of our technology and the way we work. This position will report into the Head of Software and will be based remotely… although we have an office near Old Street Station in London that you are welcome to use.
- You work to the highest quality & security standards
- You follow appropriate modern technologies, processes & practices
- You strive for optimal user and developer experience
- You’re a proponent of continuous learning and improvement
- You’re organised, motivated and detail-oriented
- You’re confident, communicative and collaborative
- You love problem solving, tinkering and building things
- You play well with others and are always willing to help
- You get stuff done and are looking to make a difference
What you’ll need
- 2+ years experience of professional mobile development with React Native
- Excellent understanding of consuming RESTful APIs
- Great knowledge around state management
- Great knowledge of best React practices
- Good experience with unit & functional testing
- Good understanding of OOP principles and design patterns
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with TDD/BDD
- Experience working within an agile software team following the scrum framework
- Ability to analyse requirements, problems, and opportunities and architect solutions
- Understanding of SQL & relational database structures
- Understanding of front-end technologies
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as React
- Understanding of DevOps principles/practices
- Experience with end-to-end testing
- Educational qualifications in computer science or related field
- You’re an active contributor to an open source community
- You’re passionate and knowledgeable about climate change, sustainability and/or the EV industry
- You have a dog (which you’d be welcome to bring into the office, as and when you choose to go in)
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Salary sacrifice electric vehicle scheme.
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme.
- Pension, eyecare & life insurance schemes.
- Remote first working approach.
- Flexible working hours.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays).
- Annual company residential.
- Quarterly team events.
- Employee Assistance Program.
The socially distant elephant in the room
Our first priority (at all times, but especially during the COVID-19 pandemic) is to make sure we’re not unnecessarily exposing Pod Pointers to potential health risks. We’re a “Remote first” company anyway, so we’re continuing to conduct all interviews on Google Meet and are pretty good at onboarding new starters remotely (if we do say so ourselves). As soon as we feel it’s safe, we do intend to reopen our London office; and once that happens you will be welcome to use that for work if you prefer - although there will be no requirement for you to do so.
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!