Senior Business Development Manager - Smart Cities and Infrastructure
Sales | Up to £50k basic, OTE £70k | Location Remote (but a London office if you wish to use it)
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality, we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
Role activities and responsibilities
- Defining the strategy for growth within unexplored sectors of the smart cities and infrastructure market.
- Exploring our existing customer base and understanding where expansion opportunities lie.
- Building relationships with multiple points of contacts within potential smart cities and infrastructure customers.
- Winning new business with the largest and most strategic customers within the smart cities and infrastructure market and managing the ongoing relationship.
- Networking with, and presenting to senior stakeholders (both clients and internal).
- Developing competitive commercial models and educating potential customers on Pod Point’s offering.
- Subject matter expert for smart cities and infrastructure within Pod Point.
- Ensuring you are up-to-date with internal and external developments, and suggesting new ways to increase sales.
- Reporting directly to the Head of Smart Cities and Infrastructure on forecasting, growth and necessary channel performance.
Essential skills and experience
- Strong commercial experience – must be able to demonstrate where you have made different commercial models fit the client / business need.
- A proven track record in meeting and exceeding sales targets.
- Previous experience in developing (from scratch) lasting business relationships with a diverse range of customers across a wide market segment. E.g. train operators, emergency services, councils, constructors, utilities and facilities management
- Previous experience of managing large accounts and fulfilling reporting requirements.
- Previous experience in leading negotiations and sales pitches for strategic accounts.
- Previous experience of leveraging existing relationships to create new revenue streams
- The ability to quickly learn and talk confidently about a technical product.
- The ability to bring together a solution and coordinate moving parts to get sales, operations, development, marketing and finance all working together.
- Strong presentation skills – should have experience of presenting to small, medium and large groups on a regular basis.
- A good networker capable of building relationships with multiple stakeholders at multiple levels within the customer organization.
“Nice to have” (but not essential)
- Experience managing a team – doesn’t need to be line management but can be a ‘Project Team’ e.g. working on a large tender.
- Experience with EVs and charging.
- The ability to work well within a fast paced (and exciting!) environment
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Company car allowance
- Salary sacrifice EV scheme
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- Remote first working approach
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
The socially distant elephant in the room
Our first priority (at all times, but especially during the COVID-19 pandemic) is to make sure we’re not unnecessarily exposing Pod Pointers to potential health risks, so we’re conducting all interviews on Google Meet and are able to onboard new starters remotely too. We also realise it can seem daunting to start a new role remotely (and some people struggle with their mental health when working from home at the best of times) so we do intend to reopen the office as soon as it’s safe to do so, and once we do you will be welcome to use that for work if you prefer. Additionally we’re putting in place some extra initiatives to keep our culture humming (for both “work” and “play”) as we transition to being a remote first company.
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!