Hardware | Up to £18k p.a. | 1 year fixed-term contract | Predominantly remote but must have easy access to our London office
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality, we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
We’re looking for an innovative, creative Engineering Intern to jump on board and help us achieve our ambitious growth goals.
This would be an ideal role for a student looking to take a year out in industry at the end of their first or second year studying electrical, automotive or mechanical engineering. You will join a multidisciplinary team of 11 which includes Electronics Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Firmware and Embedded Software Engineers, Supply Chain professionals and a Technical Project Manager.
The position will report into the Head of Hardware and will be based remotely (although we have an office near Old Street Station in London that you are welcome to use).
What you’ll do
- Ongoing support and maintenance of existing products
- Testing and development of new products.
- Assistance with electrical and mechanical CAD
- Schematic capture and PCB design
What you’ll need
- Hungry and willing to learn
- Happy to pick up a screwdriver or soldering iron and get your hands dirty
- Computer literate with a bit of exposure to CAD packages and coding
- Some study towards an Electronics or Mechanical Engineering degree
- A bit of a track record of making stuff with things like Raspberry PI, Ardunio, etc.
- You have a dog (which you’d be welcome to bring into the office, as and when you choose to go in)
- You’re passionate and knowledgeable about climate change, sustainability and/or the EV industry
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Salary Sacrifice Electric Vehicle Scheme
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- Remote first working approach
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
The socially distant elephant in the room
Our first priority (at all times, but especially during the COVID-19 pandemic) is to make sure we’re not unnecessarily exposing Pod Pointers to potential health risks. We’re a “Remote first” company anyway, so we’re continuing to conduct all interviews on Google Meet and are pretty good at onboarding new starters remotely (if we do say so ourselves). As soon as we feel it’s safe, we do intend to reopen our London office; and once that happens you will be welcome to use that for work if you prefer - although there will be no requirement for you to do so.
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!