Hardware | Up to £75k p.a. | Predominantly remote but must have easy access to our London office for some onsite testing.
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
We’re looking for an innovative, creative Lead Firmware Engineer to join our growing hardware engineering team and help us achieve our ambitious growth goals. This is a fantastic opportunity to work within a passionate team and have a big impact on the entire organisation.
The position will report into the Head of Hardware Engineering and will be based remotely but with some travel to our office near Old Street Station in London.
What you’ll do
Take responsibility for the day-to-day activities in the embedded firmware department
- Monitor and schedule the workload of the team with the help of our Technical Project Manager
- Work on improving our existing, and creating innovative future, firmware solutions
- Continue to develop our portfolio of patents
- Write statements of work (SOW), specifications and detailed requirements related to embedded firmware development for our product roadmap
- Work closely with our Technical Project Manager to ensure the evolution of projects is aligned with your SOW and agreed timeline
- Improve our testing and validation capability before release
- Ensure our architecture follows the latest security standards
- Own responsibility for firmware quality, maintenance and development
- Define and establish the firmware department, tools, processes and frameworks of work
- Implement the standards necessary to produce industry-leading charging infrastructure
What you’ll need
- At least 8+ years of firmware development experience
- Experience in leading and managing teams, and managing projects with many moving parts
- Strong engineering experience in product development
- Strong understanding of cyber security for embedded systems
- Experience with networks in excess of 100 000 connected wireless devices (e.g. Bluetooth, WiFi, RFID and other NFC protocols)
- An excellent understanding of C and C++
- Experience working with TDD frameworks
- Knowledge of all things Git/Github
- Great experience working with real-time control microprocessors and different IDEs such as TI Code Composer Studio/Eclipse/STM32CubeIDE
- Great knowledge of compiling, linking and flashing embedded software, including the use of emulators and JTAG
- Great experience working or experimenting with a range of MCUs and their associated tool chains, such as TI, STM, Espressif, ARM, AVR or PIC.
- Great experience in common bus protocols like UART, SPI and I2C.
- The ability to review hardware (printed circuit board) schematics and experience of working alongside hardware engineers to collaboratively find solutions to complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal skills and capable of communicating with non-technical team members
- Experience of ST and Espressif processors
- Linux or RTOS experience
- Prior experience in board bring up, manufacturing line test development is a big plus
- Experience working with oscilloscopes and logic analysers for hardware debugging
- You have a dog (which you’d be welcome to bring into the office, as and when you choose to go in)
- You’re passionate and knowledgeable about climate change, sustainability and/or the EV industry
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Salary Sacrifice Electric Vehicle Scheme
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- Remote first working approach
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
The socially distant elephant in the room
Our first priority (at all times, but especially during the COVID-19 pandemic) is to make sure we’re not unnecessarily exposing Pod Pointers to potential health risks, so we’re conducting all interviews on Google Meet and are able to onboard new starters remotely too. We also realise it can seem daunting to start a new role remotely (and some people struggle with their mental health when working from home at the best of times) so if you prefer to use the office for work you are welcome to book a desk whenever you like.
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!