Lead DevOps Engineer
Software | Remote (but with a London office if you wish to use it)
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality, we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
We pride ourselves on product development. Our technology and its users are at the heart of everything we do, ranging from consumer applications that enable EV drivers to charge on our network; to an expansive ecommerce solution for our customers and our partners; back-office systems for managing our network; and a big data pipeline for the communications of our charge points. We’re leading the industry in how great software helps define the best EV charging experience.
We aim to build even more awesome things, so we’re looking for an innovative, passionate and experienced Lead DevOps Engineer to join the software development team and help us develop and maintain our cloud infrastructure and meet our ambitious business objectives. You will primarily be working closest to your fellow DevOps engineers (we currently have two), software engineers, QA engineers, and technical project managers, but you’ll also be in regular collaboration with the wider product development department, including the product, data, hardware and Salesforce engineering teams.
The position will report into the Head of Software and will be based remotely (although we have an office near Old Street Station in London that you are welcome to use).
What you’ll do
- Provide line management for the DevOps team members
- Lead the hiring process for the cloud engineering team members
- Develop and maintain our cloud infrastructure
- Configuration of our AWS services (of which we use many - RDS, EC2, OpsWorks, Lambda, S3, SNS, SQS, Kinesis, Elasticsearch, CloudFront, API Gateway, Codebuild - to name but a few)
- Writing infrastructure as code (using Terraform, Serverless, and even some Typescript via the AWS CDK)
- Design and build platform solutions to the technical challenges of our software products
- Optimise CI/CD pipelines and automation
- Work to the highest quality & security standards
- Follow appropriate modern technologies, processes & practices
- Self-manage agile software development with the Atlassian suite (Jira/Confluence)
- Monitor and troubleshoot platform issues, and introduce preventative measures
What you’ll need
- Proven leadership experience
- Excellent experience with AWS
- Great experience of writing infrastructure as code (preferably via Terraform)
- Great experience of scripting (any language, Python etc)
- Great understanding of DevOps principles/practices
- Good understanding of software engineering, architecture and technologies
- Good understanding of database structures and data warehousing
- Excellent knowledge of systems security, VPCs and Networking
- Excellent knowledge of scalable and resilient platform engineering
- Familiarity with SDLC and agile methodologies
- Ability to analyse requirements, problems, and opportunities and architect solutions
- You’re a leader
- You work to the highest quality & security standards
- You follow appropriate modern technologies, processes & practices
- You’re a proponent of continuous learning and improvement
- You’re organised, motivated and detail-oriented to self-manage
- You’re confident, communicative and collaborative
- You play well with others
- You get stuff done
Experience with GitOps based delivery pipelines
- AWS certifications
- Educational qualifications in computer science or related field
- Background experience as a software engineer
- You have a dog (which you’d be welcome to bring into the office, as and when you choose to go in)
- You’re passionate and knowledgeable about climate change, sustainability and/or the EV industry
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Salary Sacrifice Electric Vehicle Scheme
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- Remote first working approach
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
Final things to note
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!